AASL in collaboration with ALA’s Office for Library Advocacy (OLA) and the ALA Washington Office is offering a comprehensive workshop on ESSA to each state association affiliate. AASL leaders will present free workshops offered through state affiliates.
The workshops build off of the two well-received sessions on ESSA presented by AASL during ALA Annual Conference. The workshops will:
- include the most current information on developments at the Federal level and work through the sections of ESSA that can be directly linked to the school librarian/library program;
- connect ESSA language to school librarian’s role; and
- discuss current state work with recommendations for opportunities at state and local levels to ensure the ‘effective school library program’ language in ESSA.
The hands-on small group work will aid in identifying stakeholders, building coalitions, message crafting and elevator speech development.
This outreach to state affiliates is part of the AASL Vision Plan for Implementing ESSA approved by the AASL Board of Directors at ALA Annual Conference in Orlando.
While the content will be directly related to ESSA, the tools and exercise portion is advocacy for positioning school librarians in general as leaders for teaching and learning. ESSA workshops have been offered to each state and will be posted as they are confirmed. Please check back often for specific dates and locations.
- Louisiana Association of School Librarians
- Oregon Association of School Libraries
- Alabama School Library Association
Oct 29 | 10:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. | Vestavia Hills, AL
- Alaska Association of School Librarians
Nov 11 | 4:00 p.m. – 5:30 p.m. | Virtual
- Arizona Library Association, Teacher Librarian Division
Feb 25 | 9:oo a.m. – 11:00 a.m. | Phoenix, AZ
- Arkansas Association of Instructional Media
Nov 5 | 9:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. | Little Rock, AR
- California School Library Association
Oct 8 | 3:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m. | Los Angeles, CA
- Connecticut Association of School Librarians
Oct 25 | 1:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. | Southington, CT
- Delaware Association of School Librarians
Sept 17 | 1:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m. | Bear, DE
- DC Association of School Librarians
Nov 17 | 5:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m. | DC
- Florida Association of Media in Education
Oct 21 | 10:00 a.m. – 11:50 a.m. | Orlando, FL
- Georgia Library Media Association
Sept 24 | 10:00 a.m.- 1:00 p.m. | Hapeville, GA
- Hawaiʻi Association of School Librarians
Oct 29 | Oahu, HI
- Idaho Library Association
Nov 1 | 3:30 p.m. | Virtual
- Illinois School Library Media Association
Sept 24 | 9:00 a.m.- 12:00 p.m. | Virtual
- Association of Indiana School Library Educators
Sept 24 | 10:30 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. | Indianapolis, IN
- Iowa Association of School Librarians
Nov 29 | 4:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m. | Cedar Rapids, IA
- Kansas Association of School Librarians
- Kentucky Association of School Librarians
Jul 14 | Goshen, KY | 1:30 p.m. – 2:15 p.m.
- Maine Association of School Librarians
Nov 5 | Falmouth, ME
- Maryland Association of School Librarians
Jan 28 | 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. | Ellicott City, MD
- Massachusetts School Library Association
Sept 17 | 8:00 a.m.- 12:00 p.m. | Sharon, MA
- Michigan Association for Media in Education
Sept 17 | 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. | Howell, MI
This program is made possible through the matching funds provided by Follett School Solutions. Follett advocates for, and understands, the expertise and dynamic role school librarians play in making a difference in their district’s success.